1. Introduce some tips for taking good photographs
This video worked well with my class.
2. As a group, try to identify each of the tips in the work of a few professional photographers.
3. Individually choose a theme or place to take 9 photographs- each one demonstrating the application of one of the tips.
4. Individually, each student saves their best 9 photographs to a folder for submission and evaluation.
5. Group critique (2 or 3 students examples per tip).
Here are some examples of Steve McCurry's wonderful work (as well as the one above):